Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Owning it!

I was so upset last week because I just started my 10K training program and on the third day…boom, shin splints.  I felt super motivated, energized and ready to rock it out.  Then part way through my run I was in tears from the excruciating pain.  I slowly and tenderly walked back to my car, with salty drips of frustration coming from my eyes…maybe I’m being slightly dramatic, but really, it’s extremely frustrating for me.  I’m ready mentally and my body says – Nope….too soon.  So listening to my body, I gave myself another [almost] week off. 

Today I eased into another run…mostly by mistake.  I wanted to attempt roller blading while pushing the kids in the stroller, it seemed like it would be easier.  HA!  Pushing 120 pounds while roller blading for the first time in YEARS [too many to even attempt counting] was a lot harder than I assumed it would be.  I wimped out after 10 minutes [fail] and ran instead [win].  I could feel my shin pinching, so I slowed my pace.  I decided to not push too much and did about a 20 minute run plus 25 minutes of walking.  If you add in the 10 minutes of roller blading that’s a 55 minute workout – so I feel pretty good about that. 

The other day I was looking for quotes for a new tattoo [which I’ll explain shortly] and I found this quote from Jillian Michaels:  When friends tell you how awesome you look, drop the "I still have more to go" crap.  You worked hard and you deserve the compliment!

The quote made me think of how I struggle with compliments.  Any time Patrick, or friends and family have complimented me on my success [so far], I of course thank them and usually add a comment about how far I still have to go…or other random negative things.  So keeping that at the forefront of my thoughts lately, I’m trying really hard to just say ‘thank you’ and end it there.  Tonight after our…well, after my workout…the kids and I stopped at Glen’s to pick up dinner because there was no way this Mama was cooking.   I ran into someone I haven’t seen since probably close to December and she says to me “Wow, you’ve lost a lot of weight, haven’t you?” and I said “Yes, I have.  36 pounds so far.”  As the number 36 rolled of my lips I thought, my GOSH that’s a lot [only 4 pounds from my new Silver Jeans].  Then she said to me, “You look great!”  Embarrassed as usual I felt the warmth of blushing in my cheeks and I simply answered “Thank you.  Thank you very much.”  And right then and there my friends, I owned every bit of that 36 pound loss.  Every ounce lost, every shin splinting pain, every ibuprofen I’ve had to take….I owned it.  I felt really proud and it felt good.  [I’m such a sap…tearing up just typing that].

So about the tattoo…our dear friends Tom and Stacy Heath have been working close with us at this weight loss stuff.  Holding each other accountable, bitching to each other when we’re frustrated, and just supporting each other…you know, the whole 9 yards [whatever that means].  So Patrick and I had this brilliant idea to get some sort of tattoo once we have all reached our goal weight.  The tats do not have to match, but we’ll all go together.  I’m sure there will be some emotional tears as this has been quite a life changing and motivating process for all of us. 

I’m looking to create something that will really express what this whole journey has meant to me.  I’ve thought about maybe one of my favorite quotes or maybe a symbol that represents the meaning in the quote.  For example I love this quote:  Don't let the fear of the time it will take to accomplish something stand in the way of your doing it. The time will pass anyway; we might just as well put that passing time to the best possible use. ~Earl Nightingale   The quote itself is a little long, so I thought of maybe doing a vintage looking pocket watch [location of tattoo to be determined…open to suggestion, although would like to keep it somewhere easy to cover up]

I also love the quote: All my life I had been looking for something, and everywhere I turned someone tried to tell me what it was. I accepted their answers too, though they were often in contradiction and even self-contradictory. I was naïve. I was looking for myself and asking everyone except myself questions which I, and only I, could answer. It took me a long time and much painful boomeranging of my expectations to achieve a realization everyone else appears to have been born with: that I am nobody but myself. ~Ralph Ellison   So I could just put the words ‘I am nobody but myself’ possibly on my ribs….Any other tattoo ideas my friends?

PS - Wish me luck at my 3rd 5K on Saturday!

1 comment:

  1. Thank You Anora for sharing the owning it. I have often done that myself and still do. I will definitly keep this in mind.

    ReplyDelete